The Bible teaches that membership in a local church is the normal expectation for a healthy Christian.
Christians are called to assemble together regularly to build one another up in Christ (Hebrews 10:23-25), to encourage one another regularly (Hebrews 3:12-14), to work together to get the Gospel to lost people around the world (Matthew 28:18-20), to protect each other from sin (James 5:19-20), to guard the church from hypocrisy (Matthew 18:15-18), and to be built up by the regular teaching of God’s Word through gifted teachers (Hebrews 13:17).
To faithfully follow these commands, Christians lock arms with other believers in a local assembly to foster deep, authentic, God-glorifying, sin-fighting relationships.
To join Del Ray Baptist Church, we have a 4 step process:
- Class – Membership Information Class. Each month we offer a series of classes for visitors interested in learning more about what it means to be a member at Del Ray Baptist Church. See below for more details.
- Conversation – Meeting with an Elder. The prospective member fills out a membership application, agrees to the Statement of Faith and Church Covenant, and meets with an elder to recount God’s converting work in his or her life. The application then goes to church leadership for review.
- Commendation – Elder Recommendation. At a regularly scheduled elders meeting, the elders will review the applicant’s testimony. Upon receiving their collective approval, the candidate’s application proceeds to the next step: congregational affirmation.
- Congregation – Membership Vote. During our Members Meetings (or a meeting called for this purpose), an elder briefly describes how the applicants, who are desiring to be admitted to membership, have come to know the Lord. Questions are fielded, a vote is taken, and with a majority agreement, candidates are admitted into membership.
Membership Class Information
The Membership Class is comprised of three separate, one hour classes that meet on Sunday mornings during the Equipping Hour timeframe. Over the course of the classes we will cover what we as a church believe and how we intend to live as a church for the purpose of fulfilling the Great Commission. This is a great opportunity for you to get to know us and ask any questions about what we believe before committing to membership. Taking this class doesn’t make one a member, but it is the first step of the membership process. Attendance of all prospective members at all three classes is required before moving forward in the membership process.
* Classes will be held on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Sunday of each month from 9:00-10:00 in the upstairs classroom 302/303. Childcare (Nursery-6th grade) provided in the Children’s Ministry wing on a first-come-first-serve basis (recommend arrive at children’s ministry 15 minutes early to ensure a spot for your children).
Members Meetings Information
The members of DRBC assemble six times a year to welcome new members, say goodbye to ones who move away, discuss issues of stewardship, missions efforts, and handle other important issues in the life of our church.
For more information about being a member at Del Ray Baptist, please email email@example.com